The Resource The undefeated
- The undefeated
- Statement of responsibility
- by Kwame Alexander ; illustrated by Kadir Nelson
- trueAfrican Americans
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- History -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- Juvenile poetry
- African Americans -- Social life and customs -- Juvenile literature
- Children's poetry, American
- trueCivil Rights Movement
- trueCivil rights
- Creative nonfiction
- trueElectronic books
- Picture books
- Free verse
- trueSocial justice
- "The Newbery Award-winning author of The Crossover pens an ode to black American triumph and tribulation, with art from a two-time Caldecott Honoree. Originally performed for ESPN's The Undefeated, this poem is a love letter to black life in the United States. It highlights the unspeakable trauma of slavery, the faith and fire of the civil rights movement, and the grit, passion, and perseverance of some of the world's greatest heroes. The text is also peppered with references to the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, and others, offering deeper insights into the accomplishments of the past, while bringing stark attention to the endurance and spirit of those surviving and thriving in the present. Robust back matter at the end provides valuable historical context and additional detail for those wishing to learn more."--Provided by publisher
- ALA Notable Children's Books, 2020.
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 2019.
- Caldecott Medal, 2020.
- Coretta Scott King Award, Illustrator Category, 2020.
- Notable Books for a Global Society, 2020.
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2019.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of The undefeated
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The undefeated
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.ebrpl.com/resource/xjgBas2MdD0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.ebrpl.com/resource/xjgBas2MdD0/">The undefeated</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.ebrpl.com/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.ebrpl.com/">East Baton Rouge Parish Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>